Sunday, April 26, 2009

Outside in April

April has been another fun month. We've spent almost the entire month searching for a playground for our backyard. Pa and Ro Ro said they thought the kids should have a playground in the backyard and for us to start looking....who am I to argue with that? So we started our search and let me just tell you, there's a lot out there! But, we finally found something that we really liked and placed the order. This past Friday, they were coming to deliver and install and everytime the kids thought they heard the truck coming, they would run to the window and look. They finally got here and Ethan was soooooo excited (Nina was already down for her morning nap). He literally stayed outside all day long Friday and Saturday (except for nap). Ethan already has a farmer's tan. They absolutely love it and don't want to come inside. There is a phone on the platform and that is the prized possession right now...not sure if we're going to order a second one or not. Maybe that can be Nina's b'day present! Tonight we went to dinner after church and it was almost dark when we got home, but they didn't care! They still played and played and played, in the dark! Thank you Pa and Ro Ro! Can't wait for you to come see it in person!!!

I went to Nashville Friday afternoon to run in the Country Music Half Marathon on Saturday morning. I stayed with our good family friends, Julie and John. Julie's parents, that live in Peachtree City and go to church with Mom, were in town for a visit and we had a great time together. Friday night after a fabulous pasta dinner, we stayed up til midnight playing Mexican Train Dominos and had a blast! We had great conversation and of course, John had to blame his loss to the fact that we talked too much...although I think he's the one with the reputation for 2 minute stories turning into 10 minute stories...! I got up early Saturday morning and headed to LP Field and then to the race start. There were over 30,000 that ran this race and it was so much fun! I was proud that I finished in under 2 1/2, especially in that heat and humidity! It was 85 at race time - yikes! I had a great run and actually got to see several friends from my time at Lipscomb. After I got back to their house that afternoon, we went to the Franklin Main Street Festival and walked around. It's just such a cute town with adorable shops and the festival just had the best smells....fresh funnel cakes, kettle corn, smoothies, lemonade, chicken on skewers, bbq, fresh potato chips....the smell of Summer! I hated to leave before I could redeem myself at the game table, but I promised Ethan Dairy Queen, so I had to head home. I feel so blessed to know the Hallford/Cottrell family and to consider them friends - they just radiate goodness and are the perfect example of wonderful Christian living! I want to be a better person just by being around all of this family! Thanks for opening your home and making me feel welcome! I can't wait for Paris - we really need to figure out a way to get the Dominos over the pond with us! Mark and I were still eating dinner one night and the kids started coloring with markers - somehow, some one started coloring on themselves and it turned into a green nightmare! They thought it was so cool that I told them they could keep doing it and for a few days after kept asking if they could do it again.


They have been all about the sandbox recently, which is great when I'm cooking dinner because I can keep my eye on them while still in the kitchen. They play here for a long time and love it!

I think someone gave this hat to Mark when he turned 30 and Nina found it in our closet the other day and refused to take it off!

The playground!!!!
Nina goes up the ladder and comes down the slide before you can even turn around. She's fast!


Having a little snack in the fort

Heading to church tonight. Ethan was so excited that I told him he could finally wear his green flip flops! He keeps saying, "oh, Ro Ro is going to love these and we'll wear them at the beach." I don't think he realizes that our beach trip isn't for 4 1/2 more months!
This "dress" as my Mom calls it, was mine when I was 2. Can you believe I wore dresses that short? I know my booty had to have been hanging outta that! So, I made the pants to go with the "dress", that is now a "top". Nina just thought she was the stuff wearing this outfit and her white sunglasses!
Hope everyone has a good week!

9 comments:

Sandra said...

Great pictures. I understand the "short" dress; Elizabeth and I have a running feud over dress lengths for little girls. Alice and Elizabeth often had dresses shorter than their cute little knees. I love the long ones, too!
Hope you have a sunny day for plenty of backyard play!

Unknown said...

The fort looks great! Oh that see-saw looks fun!
Love the colorful bodies, cute purse in the background, love Nina in her hats and sunglasses, love Ethans' green flip flops!

You are sooo smart to make the pants and the dress looks brand new too! So glad your mom kept it!

Thanks for the sweet words.
p.s. Mom just won again tonight, she is on a role and DH won't quit whining. :D

Heather said...

Those last pics of Nina are so cute..classic! She's going to love looking back at those some day! And I think we need to see a pic of Mark in that 30th b-day hat that Nina was wearing! Love the new playground equipment!

lyla said...

i have serious playground envy... we sold ours with our house and now we have--dirt! just dirt. anyway...i love your pictures! so cute! that outfit you made for nina with your old dress is the cutest thing ever.

Courtney said...

Cool playground!!! I bet they had so much fun!!! Tell Ethan & Nina that Aunt Courtney can't wait until I can come over & play on it w/them! Love you all!

King Family said...

I love the playset. Maybe we will get to Memphis this summer to play on it. (well, not me) I love Nina in her sunglasses!

Stacia said...

Okay, that "dress" is hilarious. I had one exactly like it that my mom gave to me for Channing. It says 2T on the tag but I'm thinking uh, it would be short on her now. I love the pants idea... now if only I could find the time to dig out my sewing machine.

Glad you are enjoying the out doors too. How did we ever cook dinner during the winter?

Julie said...

Hi Mandy! I'm Julie's sister-in-law. I love reading your blog and seeing pictures of your children. I saw where you ran the CMM 1/2.Congrats! Just wondering if you have ever run the St. Jude 1/2. I'm thinking about running it this Dec. I've done the CMM 1/2 twice but didn't this year. Thanks!

Ryan said...

Love the pictuers and the orange outfit is awesome. Nina looks very sassy!!!