Wednesday, November 26, 2008

6 hours of fun...

One long standing tradition in our household is Santa at Phipps and riding the Pink Pig. Growing up, the real Santa was at Perimeter Mall and you would go and stand in line for over 4 hours to see him. He was worth it though! Then he moved to Phipps Plaza and we would still go - but you would stand in line to get a number and then stand in line once your number was called to actually see him. Now, in October, you get online at midnight and book your reservation for Santa. Crazy, I know, but it's tradition. So, Melanie and I have started a tradition of getting our reservations together. Yesterday was our day. Melanie came by and picked us up and we loaded 4 car seats in Melanie's van and headed out. We had to stop at Arlington to pick up Allie and finally were on our way. We planned to get there in plenty of time to eat and get the kids changed into their outfits....so far, so good. We checked in and started making our lists for Santa. Allie and Avery went first. They both loved him and were adorable sitting on his lap. Next was Ethan and Nina's turn. At first, Nina was trying to run to see him and then when she realized that I was encouraging her to go, she dropped to the floor. Ethan walked right up and sat in his lap - he's always been a lover of the Claus! I put Nina in his lap and walked away and you would have thought her world had just been turned upside down....but all of a sudden, I turned around and she was laughing. He spent a lot of time talking to them and they both seemed to enjoy the time with him. Ethan told him to make sure to bring his toys to Atlanta and not Memphis. It warms my heart to carry on this tradition with my kids because I have such fond memories of the real Santa!

This is when the fun begins...Melanie and I both thought that while the kids were dressed up we could try for our Christmas card pictures. So we walked down to the atrium that's all decorated and tried, noticed I said tried, to get pictures. It was quite amusing to say the least. Melanie, my Mom and I were all worn out and to quote Melanie, she said, "I just need to do this at home so I can yell!" Well said, Melanie, well said!

So we packed everyone back into the van and drove across the street to ride the Pink Pig. The kids all enjoyed it! Melanie's sugar was low, so I drove home and we needed to stop for a drink or something....so we pulled into The Varsity and all got chocolate shakes for the ride home! Yummy! It was a fun evening - if we hadn't tried to get pictures, it would have been an easy evening! I'm so thankful I have a best friend like Melanie that is willing to do fun and crazy things together! Here's to next year....
Mommy and Ethan making his wish list
While Allie and Avery were in line, I tried to get pics of Ethan and Nina on the stairs - didn't work and this was the best I got.
Nina crying as I sat her in Santa's lap and walked away
Then Nina laughing!
Reading of the lists
He's not such a bad guy after all!



Allie and Ethan after Santa
Trying for a group picture
Adding the trouble maker to the group picture...she did not want her picture taken

The pictures below will speak for themselves....




Other than the candy cane all over Nina's mouth, it's the only good one I got
I'm DONE!
Allie and Ethan - oh, and Allie got 3 sips of Diet Coke while we were trying to get pictures. Avery got nothing (according to Melanie)
Nina and Avery playing in the atrium
Nona and Nina riding the Pink Pig togetherAllie, Ethan and Avery on the Pink Pig



Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Black Friday to everyone!!!

12 comments:

King Family said...

I think you got some good pictures along with the funny ones. We had a great time with you guys. Can't wait til next year!!! Do you think we will ever reach the point when we can just stand our kids somewhere and say smile and be done with the Christmas card picture???

Courtney said...

Those are precious pictures! They looked like they were having such a great time!!! I love the one with Nina with her hand over her mouth and Ethan making a face! They are TOO cute!

Heather said...

Those pics are priceless!!! I love the ones of them w/ Santa...gorgeous! Now I see why ya'll go there! And the one of Nina covering her mouth laughing is too funny! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Yarn Miracle said...

Yay! The Pink Pig! Great pictures or seriously cute kids!

That was our Santa too! We have pictures with him until Elizabeth turned 21 and decided she was too old. Before that there were four years where I got up pre-pre-predawn to wait in line. The on-line sign ups are brilliant.

Nanalaine said...

They are all great pics! How can they not be with such adorable kids? It sounds and looks like you all had a marvelous time - Christmas traditions are the best! I'm glad Nona went - what a great excuse to ride the Pink Pig!

Jamie said...

What a fun time it sounds like y'all had. That is alot of great pictures too. Thanks for the update. We miss you guys!

Jodi Brinkley said...

The Christmas cards attempts are priceless. Too cute...all of them!

David, Samantha and Kaori said...

He is a great Santa!!!!!

Ryan said...

So, I think Nina's smile gets bigger every picture. So glad you had a great time at home!!!

Mommy of Boys said...

Looks like so much fun! I love traditions, don't you?

Shannon said...

Love all the pictures and glad you made the attempt!! I think you have some good ones, but I always like the funny ones best anyway. Great to see you and can't wait to hit Papasito's in a few weeks! Call me so we can plan our dinner night!

Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you at Christmas. You and your family are always in my thoughts. I hope you have a wonderful New Years. I will try to update my blog often while I am in Iraq. Keep in touch! Love You Guys!

Stephanie LeMarr