Monday, July 20, 2009

Honfleur...a perfect and quaint little town!

We spent the entire morning and afternoon in this quaint little fishing port called Honfleur. It was perfect! The weather was wonderful - very nice and cool and a gorgeous day to walk around and experience this perfect town in the Normandy region. Many painters have captured this town on canvas and is familiar in art galleries around the world. After Eric (our tour guide) showed us some of the highlights of Honfleur, we were on our own the rest of the day. Many of us took our time walking in and out of the little shops and found some great things to bring home with us. It was a perfect day!
Pont de Normandie - cable-stayed bridge that was opened in 1995 to connect Honfleur with Le Havre. One of the little shops that sold Calvados - an apple brandy that is made from apples from the Normandy region. Eric arranged for us to go inside and the owner had a sample for anyone that wanted to try....I have pictures of some of those that tasted, but I won't incriminate them just yet. Mark and I have a pork chop and apple recipe and we might try adding some of this while the apples are sauteing - yes, I bought a bottle.


Carousel built in 1900 - it was lovely!

This hotel was right at the edge of town and had a gorgeous view of the town - I could have stayed there several days!
Cathy and Mandy in Honfleur
This church was built at the end of the 15th century by shipbuilders. It still remains France's largest wooden church.

Mom, Cleo and Faye enjoyed their seafood lunch here



This shop was incredible - filled with lovely linens and china, light fixtures and door knobs. It kind of reminded me on Anthropologie - which is why I probably loved it so much.


Another gorgeous day in France!

3 comments:

Gary, Megan and Beth said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. I have enjoyed them. As well as, hearing about your trip.
Megan

Unknown said...

I missed that cute little shop! Looks like my kind of place....you and I always like the same stuff don't we?! You've got great taste!

Honfleur was a favorite!

Heather said...

Beautiful... I love it. Thanks for sharing!