Tuesday, August 19, 2008

August Fun

Last week we went with several girl friends from church and their kids to this water park across town. The kids had a great time running (or in Nina's case, lightning speed crawling) and playing in the water and we had a great time chatting. Then we ate lunch at Booya's - now that we're seeing gas below $3.40 a gallon, maybe I can get over there more!

This past weekend we celebrated my 31st. Mark made my favorite dish, lemon garlic shrimp with parsley rice. It's fabulous!! At my request, he PURCHASED a cookie cake with lots of fudge frosting and it was wonderful. I love his cakes, pies, tarts, etc....but sometimes, you just gotta go with the cookie cake! Mark took Ethan out shopping for my gift and then later we met for lunch. Mark was away from the table so Ethan proceeded to tell me that they tried to order a cookie cake but they can't pick it up until later. I had asked for a cookie cake, but didn't know he was going to actually buy one - because if you know Mark, you know it was hard to go so low as to purchase the birthday cake....no offense to those of us that grew up with store bought cakes - I sure did! He says he is still making me a cake when we get back from Atlanta. Then Ethan proceeds to tell me that they bought me an orange necklace...and with those really big brown eyes (that will melt some girl's heart much, much later in life) and a really excited mouth, he says, "but it's a surprise Mommy, for your birthday!" Mark doesn't know he spilled everything - shhhhhh!

Tonight, Mark and I left the kids with Cathy and Donnie because we had to go to preschool orientation. What a strange feeling that was! Ethan starts tomorrow morning 2 days a week. Tuesday he'll go until noon and Thursday until 2:30 - that extra time they have lunch and then Spanish lessons. They have music class every day for 30 minutes and all the teachers at this preschool are qualified educators. I feel really good about my choice - I took a long time asking around and researching....so long that Ethan actually got the last spot in this class! Hopefully tomorrow goes well - he's excited now (well, he better be asleep right now), but we'll see after tomorrow. Stay tuned.... Ethan running to find Macie Mae
Ethan and Nina playing in one of the fountains

I just couldn't resist the booty picture hanging out of the suit!
YUMMY!!!!!!!
While Mark was cooking, I was out shopping alone, so he let the kids do whatever they wanted while he cooked dinner...this meant that they destroyed the kitchen. Ethan made me a Cheerio pie using every mixing bowl, measuring cup, utensil, etc...he could find. They had a blast! Nina LOVES her belly button - and she calls it her tickle tickle
If you ask her where her eyes are, this is the look you get!
Nina's fishy face
Uh Oh!

Ethan with his Bartlett United Methodist Preschool t-shirt, bag and his new lunchbox. When I enrolled him, the Lands End catalog came that day so he picked out his backpack - orange. Then when I got the packet of info from school, they said that they supply bags for them to carry....so he was a little upset....therefore we ordered the orange lunchbox as a compromise and it came today! I had all the info the teachers had given us tonight in his bag and when we got home he was looking through it all and thought it was homework - but was excited! It was funny. The teachers asked if we could bring a picture of Ethan to put in his cubby where his bag goes so he would recognize where to put his stuff...so I told him that was his homework and he had so much fun going through pictures to find the right one to take with him tomorrow - it's of him digging in the dirt in the lot next door to us with his tractors! Imagine that! His clothes are all laid out and everything is ready to go. Alarm clock is set...gotta get to bed. Hope to post pics later of his first day! Check back soon!!

7 comments:

King Family said...

I love, love the picture of Nina looking at her belly button. I am so excited for Ethan. He will love it.(and you will too) That dinner looks wonderful. Do you think Mark will make that for my birthday?

Unknown said...

LOVE the booty and belly button pictures of Nina! LOL! Oh my, she will get you if you ever pull those out in front of the boyfriend!

Ethan's school sounds fabulous! Great pictures!

Hope you had a great birthday! We got Les a cookie cake too! Sometimes you just can't help it, right?

The shrimp dinner looked YUMMY!

Ryan said...

Love the bathing suit picture!!! Also a big fan of the cookie cake. Happy Birthday!!! I hope Ethan's first day went perfectly!!

Jodi Brinkley said...

Ethan's school sounds wonderful. I know he'll love it. Gotta love a cookie cake!!! And finally, I am in LOVE with Nina's swimsuit. That is priceless! She's stylin.

Griner Mom said...

Really cute pics!! Nina suit is so precious on her! Happy Birthday to you!! I hope Ethan had fun at preschool! Sounds like he will! I am all about cookie cake!!

Heather said...

I love the "booty" pic of Nina & all her faces! It was so good to see ya'll last week & I enjoyed holding Nina & listening to her jabber. Ok, so if we come to Memphis will Mark cook?!? YUM!!
I thought about ya'll getting up early & driving to church in TN today! Hope it went well & have a safe trip home!
Looking forward to the pics of Ethan & preschool this week!

David, Samantha and Kaori said...

Looks like you had fun at the water park! It sounds fun. I wish you the best on Ethan's first day, how wonderful that you found a place that you feel good about sending him too. Hope everything goes well.