Thursday, December 18, 2008

Fabulous Weekend Away...

This past weekend began with Ethan's Christmas program at his preschool. He's been singing tidbits of songs for the past couple of weeks, and we all know how he loves to sing...so I thought this was going to be his night. First of all, I dropped him off in his classroom and the other boys and girls were sporting red noses (that had been painted on) and reindeer antler hats. I went in to meet Mark and sit down and told him what I had seen - we knew it was going to be an interesting night. Ethan does NOT like any kind of paint on him like that, so I knew that might be a problem. Once the kids started marching in, several of them were not sporting their red noses and of course Ethan was one of them. He did have his antlers on though and they were all so cute. He went up on stage and sat down. It took him a few minutes, but he spotted us in the audience and was all smiles. He stood up and started waving. It was so funny. The program began and Ethan just sat there and never said one word - never sang one note. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen! He would see us (Cathy was with us too) and he would smile and wave, but would never sing anything. Several others were doing the same thing, but all I could do was laugh. Those of you that know Mark well, know his stare off into space look....well, Ethan has a great version of it as well and was doing it off and on during the program. All I could do was crack up laughing!

After the program was over, Mark loaded the kids up and went home....I headed up I-40 to Nashville. A 3 hour drive that was full of peace and quiet - and phone conversations that were uninterrupted. It was quite nice! I was heading to Franklin to Julie's house - a long time family friend. Courtney and I were her rice girls 23 years ago. Julie babysat us and yet we're still friends! Mom, Cleo, Leslie (Julie's sister) and Mrs. Hallford (Julie and Leslie's Mom) were there too. The drive from the interstate to Franklin was gorgeous - full moon, rolling hills, snow on the ground. When I got to the house, the ladies were just getting going chatting and catching up. John, Julie's wonderful husband, wasn't there - he had checked himself into the Marriott! How funny! He's got to be in the top 5 for perfect husbands! We all chatted for awhile and then decided to go to bed. I was sharing The Longfellow room (Julie names her bedrooms) with my Mom. She, of course, was exhausted, so she passed out quickly. I went to the Jane Austin room where Les and Cleo were staying and we stayed up until 3ish talking and laughing.

Saturday morning we all got up and took our time getting going. We went to the gorgeous and quaint downtown Franklin to shop and walk around. It was a Dickens Christmas in Franklin - people were in character/costume all over town. Carolers were singing, musicians were playing their instruments, the most fabulous aromas were in the air. It was a cool and beautiful day and was perfect to walk around and do a little Christmas shopping. We left Franklin and drove the Natchez Trace Parkway to The Loveless Cafe. I hadn't eaten anything all day long so I could be starving by the time we got there. Loveless is incredible and we ate and ate and ate and had the best time. After that we went to Phillips Toy Mart which has got to be the absolute best toy store I've ever been to - different from FAO and Toysrus in NY - they had anything and everything you could imagine. It was great and we all found some wonderful gifts. By this time, the 7 of us were already piled into John's Tahoe....now with all the stops and gifts...we were really piled in! Julie drove us around Belle Meade and through Brentwood looking at several country music stars homes....Nicole Kidman, Leann Rimes, etc.....and then we ended up at Alan Jackson's home. I had seen it under construction in 95, but had never seen it completed - wow! On our way back by it, a big Mercedes pulled through the gates.....it could have been.....Saturday we allowed John back in the house and all had another great evening hanging out.

Sunday we went to church with Julie, John and Savannah and then all headed home. It was the best weekend and Julie is the absolute best hostess - her house is the warmest, most inviting home you could ever imagine! Julie, Savannah, Leslie, Cleo and Mom....I can't wait to be with you again in PARIS!!!! Thanks for a much needed weekend getaway! Love you all!!! Ethan playing pilotEthan and Nina before Ethan's preschool program - I made Nina's dress and appliqued the reindeer on both....ok Heather T., I'm going to go for it!Ethan found us in the audience and was standing up to see us betterClassic Mark Noble lookEthan and Nina with their favorite Cathy - what a fun Friday night for her!The fabulous gift baskets waiting for each of us upon our arrival Friday eveningWalking around downtown Franklin, TN
We had to take a picture in the snow (or what was left) for Ethan Alan Jackson's gorgeous home

Could it be......?
Mrs. Hallford, Savannah and I piled into the back of the truck - all smiles though!!!

5 comments:

David, Samantha and Kaori said...

Sounds like a wonderful getaway during this holiday season! Congrats to Ethan on his Christmas show. I know you were proud of your sweet baby boy!

Ryan said...

Glad Ethan made it through his program, even if he didn't sing!!! So glad you enjoyed your time in Franklin and Nashville. It's a great place to live!!!

Heather said...

What a FUN weekend!! The pics of the kids were adorable as usual! Let me know when & where we can start buying your sewing creations!!!! You know I'll be the 1st in line to promote you girl!
Beautiful pics of Alan Jackson's house....wow!

Unknown said...

Ooooh, your pictures turned out great!! I had the BEST time with you all!! Thank you, thank you for coming for a visit and also for the GORGEOUSE red napkins you monogrammed for me!! I love them!

Anonymous said...

HOPE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS AND YOU HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR! I WILL MISS YOU GUYS! YOU BETTER WRITE ME IN IRAQ!

LOVE YOU,
Stephanie LeMarr