Wednesday, January 30, 2008

This World Is Not My Home...

This is Davis Hutson - we go to church with the Hutson family. Davis passed away last Thursday - he turned 6 in December. He was sick, I believe, from the beginning of his life. His parents are incredibly strong and have been amazing throughout the past 6 years. Mark and I, obviously, have only known the Hutsons since last Spring, but Davis is a little boy that you only have to meet once to have a lasting impression. He loved to sing and was really good at it and is best known for singing "This World Is Not My Home." What a fitting song. I always loved watching him pick up the attendance cards during the closing song. When you saw Davis, you couldn't help but smile - doesn't he remind you of the cute kid in Jerry MacGuire? This Saturday is Davis Day and we will be celebrating the life of Davis Hutson. The family is doing well right now, but after Saturday and next week when things settle down I'm sure it will get harder - I can't imagine what they are going through. Davis is not hurting now and Davis is not having to deal with illness - he is well now and is in a much better place. We can only hope to be with him one day.


The reason that I wanted to post this is because of a conversation with my mom and Randi last week late one night. We were discussing Randi's conversation with Heather about coming up with a word or a theme for the year. Ever since I read Heather's blog, I've been thinking about a word - honestly I wanted Heather's word....Balance....as a young mother of 2, it's so hard to balance everything we have to do in 24 hours. I feel like I have so much to do in a day and I never get it done and I'm pulled in a million different directions, trying to be a good mother, wife, friend, daugher, and Christian. But I didn't want to copy Heather, so I've been thinking about this since then. Randi and my mom were trying to help me come up with a good word, but I didn't think of one until tonight at church when I was talking to Dana, Davis' mom. Impact. I want to have an impact on everyone that I come into contact with the way Davis did- I want people to say that I had an impact on their lives. I can only hope and pray that the obvious people say that - Mark, Ethan, Nina, etc... but I want my friends, family and church family to say that about me too - not when I'm gone, but now. I want to make a difference. I want to be the person that is always there helping, serving and giving, and with a smile and a cheerful heart. I want to be the person that has a lasting impression on many lives, the way that little Davis did. He impacted EVERYONE that he came into contact with, and that's what I want, for this year and every year. I feel like I do a good job, but I could do a better job. I could impact more - so in Davis' honor, that's what I want to do! Thank you to Randi and Heather for making us think about this. Thank you to Davis for impacting me and for making me want to impact others!

Please keep this family in your prayers this week, next week and the following weeks to come. They are so strong, but even the strongest person feels sorrow over the loss of a child.

10 comments:

Elizabeth S said...

I read Heather's post and it stuck with me as well. I shared it with my accountability group. My word is "better". I want to be better at just about everything I do. Not for my glory, for God's glory. I need to be a better mom, wife, friend, Christian, etc. Right now, I feel like I am doing things just to get by, and that is not what God calls us to. He calls us to victorious living! Love your word.

Heather said...

Wow! That brought tears to my eyes. ;)
I will be praying for Davis' family. I think so often of the people I know who have lost children...and words can not express,probably for any of us....the pain we feel for them...and of course, the pain we hope we never have to know.
As for your word....Impact is a great one! Sometimes we impact people when we don't even realize we are doing it. Good choice! ;)

Courtney said...

I can't even imagine what they must be going through. I will keep them in my prayers. Good word choice! I wish I had been there to hang out with you guys. Mom said you had fun and your wall thing turned out really cute!

Ryan said...

We'll be keeping them in our prayers. Impact...it's a good word.

Griner Mom said...

Beautiful post. I can not imagine their sorrow and yet strength of faith at the same time. I will be thinking and praying for that family. Also, great word!

King Family said...

I have been having a hard time thinking of a word too. Impact is a great one. I will keep praying for this family . I can't imagine the loss they feel. I am glad they have a great church family to help them through this.

Sheri Ellis said...

This is the first post of your's I've read. What an impact it made on me. It brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine the pain this family must be feeling, and the hope they have as well. I hope that knowing how he inspired those around him will bring a smile to their face.

Pablo y Raquel said...

Impact is a wonderful word! You have already had an impact by sharing what inspired you! We will be praying for the Hutson family.
It is good to find you and I look forward to keeping up with you through blogging.
Rachel

David, Samantha and Kaori said...

I will just say it, Life sucks.....sometimes. Oh, how hard it can be. I will pray for peace and comfort for this family.

Anonymous said...

Mandy, this is a beautiful post. I'm still grieving over little Heather Moore. Children dying is something I have a hard time dealing with. Your word is also a great choice. I'm still working on mine. Thanks for always sharing what is going on in your life. It's so much fun seeing what your family is doing. Your my blog inspiration! Wish you lived here so we could get to know each other better. Have a great weekend.